- 2017 Cemetery Walk
- Memorial Day, 2017
- Monument History
- Monument Tour
- 2016 Cemetery Walk
- 2016 Summer Program Series
- 2016 Memorial Day Poems
- June 11 Walking Tour
- 2015 Events
- 2014 Cemetery Walk slideshow >
- Ragtime Ball October 4, 2014 ( event proceeds benefit Soldiers' Monument!)
- Patrick Falci, Actor, Historian and Lecturer - September 27 >
- July 26 Picnic
Cold Harbor Commemoration, May 24, 2014 Day and Evening program
- 2013 Slideshow of Cemetery Walk
- Winsted Journal preview of Cemetery Walk
- 2013 Cemetery Walk Poster
- 2013 Living History Event, September 7 poster
- Slideshow- September 7, 2013 Living History
- Memorial Day, May 27, 2013 Photo Gallery
- YouTube- Sept. 7, 2013 Living History Event videos
- August 4, 2012 Living History Slideshow
- 2013 events >
- Park Info
- March 2016 SoMo Sentinel-Front page
- May 2015- SoMo Sentinel Front Page
- February 2015 SoMo Sentinel-Front page
- Newsletter Archives- May 2014
- Newsletter archives - May 2013 to November 2013
- SoMo Store
- Contacts and Map
Somo Sentinel Page 4
The Winchester Soldiers’ Monument & Memorial Park is a national recognized, historical treasure.
Unfortunately, it is also in dire need of repair. The elements have taken a toll on the structure and it is time to take action to preserve our landmark.
Soldiers' Monument Charitable Gifting
A 2011 evaluation of construction to stabilize and renovate the structure estimated costs at $486,000.
These projects include:
* Replacement of the rotting windows & front door
* Replacement of the deteriorating roof & roof flashing
* Installation of a new ventilation system to reduce interior condensation
* Replacement of the dangerous roof railing
* Complete re-pointing of the exterior stone work & sealing to prevent water infiltration
* Cleaning & sealing of the interior masonry surfaces.
In this age of declining Federal and State aid and grants, your support to the preservation of this landmark is vitally important.
There are numerous ways that you can help:
* Current contributions of cash, stocks,
bonds or other securities & assets.
* Purchase of a small life insurance policy naming the monument as both the owner and beneficiary of the policy. This ensures that the policy proceeds are received on a tax-free basis. This is a terrific way to increase the value of a current gift.
You can also aid the Monument while planning for your estate. You can create a gift that will ensure the ability of future generations to enjoy our monument and park. Legacy gifts are painless and flexible should your family or financial situation change.
Some examples of these gifts are:
* Adding The Winsted Soldiers’ Monument Restoration Fund as a beneficiary of your IRA, 401(k) or work-sponsored insurance policy.
* Adding a codicil to your will naming The Winsted Soldiers’ Monument Restoration Fund as a recipient of a simple bequest.
* Making a gift that will provide you with income for your lifetime with the remainder of the asset passing to the Restoration Fund upon your passing.
For more information, please e-mail: email@example.com.
or contact John Schwaikert, CFP
@ (860) 379-1215
Calling All Green Thumbs!
If you enjoy gardening and have time to help us with our unique floral garden at the monument (or have some extra plants to share) please contact the Town Clerk, Sheila Sedlack, at (860) 738-6963, ext. 342.